Efficient pulp prodution at Kemi mill

The Kemi mill in Northern Finland was founded in 1893. Sulphate pulp has been manufactured in Kemi since 1919. The mill was largely rebuilt in the 1980s and adjoins the local export harbour.

Key facts:

Capacity: 620,000 t/a of softwood and hardwood pulp
Grade specialisation: specialised in producing pulps best suited for tissue and speciality paper manufacturing
Share of exports: approximately 45%
Personnel: 155
Wood consumption: 3.1 million m³ annually
Electricity self-sufficiency: 145 % electricity
Wood certification percentage (PEFC+FSC): 97%

Timeline:

1893 Trävaruaktiebolaget Kemi founded
1919 Sulphite pulp mill comes on stream
1927 Sulphate pulp mill comes on stream
1980–1990 Comprehensive rebuilding project
1990 New pulp line
1991 Kemi Oy merges with Metsä-Botnia
2002 Board mill operations separated and Kemiart Liners Oy founded
2003 New evaporation plant
2010 Reinvestment in causticising