Metsä Fibre is building a new pine sawmill in Rauma, Finland. The value of the investment is approximately EUR 200 million. Construction startedin the spring of 2020, and the production will begin during the third quarter of 2022.
The Rauma sawmill is the largest sawmill investment ever in Finland. The new sawmill will be a forerunner in technology and efficiency. For example, using machine vision in different stages of the saw process is a significant new development. Similar technology is not yet in use anywhere in the sawmill industry.
The new technology also allows for the transition from workstations to control room monitoring as well as continuous operation. The key elements of the Rauma sawmill’s operating model include employees’ in-depth expertise and multiple skills as well as user maintenance.
RAUMA SAWMILL IN A NUTSHELL:
- The value of the investment is approximately EUR 200,000.
- The new sawmill will employ around 100 people directly and around 500 people across its direct value chain. The sawmill’s employment impact during the construction phase is estimated at 1,500 person-years.
- The new sawmill will produce around 750,000 cubic metres of pine sawn timber per year.
- Annual use of logs sourced in Finland is estimated at 1.5 million cubic metres.
- Production beginsduring the third quarter of 2022.
The synergies between the integrated sawmill and the pulp mill will be used in power generation, side-stream utilisation, logistics and services.
The environmental impact of the sawmill will be minimised, and, for example, noise management has been taken into consideration starting in the design stage, both in construction and in the selection of equipment and machinery.